Tequila Lime Chicken Tacos with Caramelized OnionsThis recipe makes 2 tacos
1/2 cup of cooked, roasted chicken
1/2 cup of white onions
2 Tablespoons of fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon of tequila
1 Teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 Teaspoon of minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 Teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons of sour cream
2 Tablespoons of chopped cilantro
1/2 Teaspoon of salt
2 corn tortillas
- Begin by cooking the onions in a little bit of olive oil over medium low heat. While onions are cooking prepare glaze.
- Combine the lime juice, tequila, red pepper flakes, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together and set aside. Onions should be barely starting to brown at this point. Add the sugar to the onions and continue to cook on medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare chicken. Heat 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in a separate heavy bottom skillet over medium high heat and add the garlic. Add chicken and cook for about 2 minutes. Once chicken has begun to cook, add the tequila lime glaze and stir. Cook for an additional 2 minutes or until chicken is warmed through. Do not over heat chicken....it is already cooked, so you just want to warm it up.
- Once chicken is done, add the balsamic vinegar to the onions and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Time to assemble! Heat the tortillas in the microwave or directly on the burner(my personal preference)and add the chicken. Top with some onions, 1 tablespoon of sour cream and 1 tablespoon of cilantro. Sour cream and cilantro.
Recipe from: http://www.overthehillandonaroll.com/2008/08/tequila-lime-chicken-tacos-with.html